In a new report, Interact Analysis is forecasting the beginning of a long and irreversible trend toward automation within the truck market. Legislation and societal acceptance provide market headwinds and competitive pressure, logistics efficiency and safety provide significant forward momentum. Platooning, an ‘efficiency’ automation provides the basis for initial market growth, particularly in the US and Western Europe. However, as technology is proven, and effective legislation enacted, higher levels of automation that lessen the need for drivers will be adopted. These higher levels of automation that bring the principles of factory automation – electrification, constant ‘product’ flow and autonomy – to the road, will gain traction after 2030 and revolutionise the truck and logistics market.
These two infographics outline the market drivers, key opportunities and who the main suppliers are and what they’re doing.
- Largest markets forecast to be China, the US, Japan and Germany. India has potential to over-take Germany and Japan in volume terms if it can overcome legislative and infrastructure challenges
- Discrete ‘platooning’ sales to decline after 2030, becoming feature-set of higher-level automation
- Highway driving to fuel early adoption
- New sales process and business models needed
- Major opportunities, some not being addressed by industry
The infographic is also available to download here.