The following two tabs change content below.

Maya Xiao

Maya has an interdisciplinary technical background in system automation, renewable energy, and intelligent connected vehicles. She is supporting APAC’s operations and responsible for Interact Analysis’s Chinese industrial automation and NEV research.

As one of China’s seven strategic emerging industries, the Chinese New Energy Vehicle market has been supported by various industrial policies since 2013.  Until 2017, China has become the largest NEV market for production and sales in three consecutive years.

The infographic, which is taken from our China Manufacturing Industry Output Tracker report, uses two classification methods to show the landscape of China’s NEV market in 2017:

  • From the perspective of the powertrain: divided into battery electric vehicle, plug-in hybrid vehicle and other alternative energy (hydrogen fuel cell) vehicle. 
  • From the perspective of models: divided into passenger vehicles, buses and trucks.

 

 

 

The infographic is also available to download here.

 

  • China is the largest and fastest-growing NEV market globally.  Sales in 2017 reached 770,000 units with a year-on-year increase of 53%, and accounted for 50% of the global market.
  • NEPV (New Energy Passenger Vehicle) sales have grown at a CAGR of 129% from 2011 to 2017. Battery Electrified Vehicles (BEVs) are still the main driver of the NEV market, accounting for 84% of annual sales in 2017.
  • In 2017, the production of new energy buses reached 106,005 units with a year-on-year decrease of 22.5% in the context of the overall bus market shrinking. Top 10 new energy bus manufactures accounted for 73.8% of sales; Yutong ranked first, accounting for 24%.
  • New energy truck market surpassed 100,000 units in 2017. The total market share of the top 10 in 2017 is only 62.8%, which is still a good time for new entrants.
  • Electric Light-Duty Trucks (GVW<4t) have huge potential in the logistics industry and occupied over 90% of the new energy truck market in China.
  • In 2017, all FCEVs(Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles) produced in China were buses and trucks: 992 fuel cell trucks accounted for 78% of the total output, and 280 fuel cell buses accounted for the rest (22%).
  • Due to government policy support, Local manufacturers accounted for more than 90% of China’s market but with the complete opening of the new energy vehicle market in 2018, the market pattern will change dramatically.

 

Related Research

The above analysis is taken from a new Interact Analysis report“China Manufacturing Industry Output Tracker”. This tracker offers an analysis of China’s manufacturing sector’s performance in more than 90 end user industries and machinery sectors, with historical data from 2007 and a five-year forecast to 2022.  Together with quarterly qualitative insight presenting up-to-date analysis of important topics, industry events and news. 

Share this:

Posted by Maya Xiao

Maya has an interdisciplinary technical background in system automation, renewable energy, and intelligent connected vehicles. She is supporting APAC’s operations and responsible for Interact Analysis’s Chinese industrial automation and NEV research.