Latest posts by Tim Dawson (see all)
- COVID-19: Motion Control Market Being Hit Hard, But CNC To Fare Far Worse Than GMC - May 27, 2020
- The Motion Control Market: Global and Regional Perspectives - January 23, 2020
- Single-Cable Servo Motor Market to Grow to $4.3 Billion by 2028 - January 8, 2020
- The Motion Controls Market – 2019 - December 19, 2019
Although the motion control market may be considered fairly mature there are important trends impacting its future growth, helping drive revenues at an above average rate for the long-term. Couple that with product releases from new vendors, plus expanding portfolios from existing ones; and the fundamentals for this industry appear very strong, even despite headwinds in certain key sectors. Despite a small decline in 2019 (-3.8%), motion control products will grow strongly to ultimately exceed $15bn in 2023.
The infographic below demonstrates some of the key findings of our Motion Controls Market – 2019 report and highlights various trends identified in the research. The report provides the most in-depth dataset on the market for servo motors, servo drives and position control hardware ever produced.
The infographic is also available to download in PDF here.
- Global motion control revenues will grow from $12.8 bn in 2018 to >$15 bn in 2023.
- Despite experiencing a decline of 4% in 2019, the market is forecast to grow with a CAGR of 3.3% to 2023.
- In 2019 Americas resented 20% of the total market, Asia Pacific 46% and EMEA 34%.
- The market for general motion control (GMC) products accounted for two-thirds of the total market in 2018, versus CNC which was one-third. Due to the poorer overall performance forecast for machine tools over the next 5 years (which represented over 85% of CNC motion product sales in 2018) the proportion of the market associated with CNC products will decrease slightly by 2023 (vs. GMC products) to represent 30% of total revenues.
- Metal cutting machine tools was by far the largest single segment, being regularly sold with both GMC and CNC controllers. Other large sectors for motion products were semiconductor & electronics machinery, packaging machinery and industrial robots.
- Servo motors with an integrated drive and multi-axis servo drives, although relatively small markets in 2018, were forecast to experience above average growth with projected CAGRs of 12.0% and 7.2%, respectively; (i.e. much higher than the average CAGR of 3.3% forecast for the total market).
- Emerging product markets (and those forecast above-average market growth) were:
- Multi-axis servo drives – a space-saving technology helping to reduce motion control footprint in control cabinets.
- Servo motors with an integrated drive – benefiting from modular machine designs and a trend to using more decentralized products.
- Decentralized servo drives – offer a more flexible decentralized solution that can be paired with any kind of linear, torque or servo motor.
- Servo motors with one-cable technology – a cost- and space-saving technology helping to reduce wiring in a machine.
- Servo drives with advanced safety features – safety regulations will drive growth x2 faster than the standard servo drive market.
- Customized servo motor solutions – representing a potential differentiator for vendors versus their competition
- Growth in China is anticipated to remain solid with a forecast CAGR of 6.7%. In terms of actual revenue added, China is also expected to significantly exceed all other regions over the forecast period ensuring it continues to be the largest market, nearly twice as big as the next largest market (USA) by the end of the forecast period.
- Germany and Japan, on the other hand, are projected to have a much more difficult five years, with forecast CAGRs of 2.1% and 1.4% respectively; hence will only grow by a small amount during the timeframe of this report. These countries, with larger machine tool sectors, will be more severely impacted by declines forecast this for this sector in 2019, and then by a further projected slowdown in 2022.
- Top 5 companies by revenue in 2018 were Siemens, Mitsubishi Electric, Fanuc, Yaskawa and Bosch Rexroth.
- Top 3 companies by revenue in 2018 for GMC were Yaskawa, Mitsubishi Electric and Rockwell Automation.
- Top 3 companies by revenue in 2018 for CNC were Fanuc, Siemens and Mitsubishi Electric.